Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 08:19:15 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Current forum banner created by LIZA

+  The Ralph Fiennes Corner II Forums
|-+  All about Ralph
| |-+  Films
| | |-+  Great expectations
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Print
Author Topic: Great expectations  (Read 18356 times)
zsuzsanna
The Mesmerizer

« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2013, 08:40:15 PM »

Agreeable surprises aren't frequent, but now one happened. Great Expectations reached Budapest. They play it only in several art-kinos, there were very few preliminatory  articles concerning on it , but it's here, finally. I saw on the first and third day and enjoyed it very much. And I was delighted with Ralph: he was simply magnificent.  He gave a deeper and more sympathetic background to his Magwitch, as it is  in the book not modifying the frightening character of his first appearance. And this highly intelligent man catches the soul of a very primitive very sad always looser  criminal, who receiving something good from the first human being in his life sacrifices all his property to help him to be a gentleman(what he alwys wanted to reach without success, and became his obsession ). He has wonderful scenes in this film: I'll never forget his encounter with the adult Pip and his death scene when he learns that he has a daughter, who is a lady and his eyes are full of tears. (mines too). Now I wait the DVD.

Liza
Admin
The Dark Lady

You touch my heart and make me smile. Always.

« Reply #136 on: February 24, 2013, 10:00:15 PM »

zsuzsanna, thank you! Love2 The film sounds wonderful! I hope we can see it in the US soon. Cloud9

Liza Flower2

"i carry your heart with me, i carry it in my heart" ~ e.e. cummings
"Keep this man safe; give him all kindness," ~ Shakespeare "Julius Caesar"
trugannini
The Miracle Maker

I feel safe with you

« Reply #137 on: February 25, 2013, 04:05:34 AM »

Thank you Zsuzsanna, I have tears in my eyes just at your description....he does that stuff so very well.
It's been cold in Budapest this winter....come down here, we have bush fires and tropical storms     gaah    Love2
Alice
The Mesmerizer

« Reply #138 on: February 25, 2013, 05:19:22 AM »

Yes, that was a lovely scene.  And I'm glad the film is getting some decent distribution, unlike another Fiennes film I could name!
glass love
Quiz Kid

« Reply #139 on: February 25, 2013, 07:16:02 AM »

Thank you for the review, zsuzsanna! Smiley I'd love to see this movie get a more widespread release. I still haven't seen it. Sad
FiennesFan
The White Countess

« Reply #140 on: March 28, 2013, 06:30:01 PM »

I got this film the other day, and obviously Ralph is amazing in it! Love his accent!  Grin
Liza
Admin
The Dark Lady

« Reply #141 on: March 28, 2013, 09:05:04 PM »

I really want to see it!!! No US release yet. gaah  Cry2

Liza Flower2

zsuzsanna
The Mesmerizer

« Reply #142 on: April 05, 2013, 04:20:31 PM »

Dear tru! Thanks for your sweet invitation! Here in Budapest we have a prolonged winter  Snow in March and cold and rain in April. We feel it very tedious.
I hope that everything is O.K with you.
Our fan isn't coming to Budapest (sorry to say) but I hope that he"ll be fantastic as M. Gustave. His Magwitch was unforgetable.
 I saw  'Les Miserables' with Jean Gabin and learned how Ralph was able to recreate  the very similar fate of a man nearly in the same role, so differently. His characterisation was harder than Gabin's (who was a great actor too) and more tragic although he remained   the primitive convict and avenger, who never forgave Compeyson's crime against him. He's extraordinary in every role. I hardly can't wait him as M. Gustave and later in the 'Sands' perhaps in both roles as husband and  as lover. If it happens so , he can play again a romantic part. Ii think: he's basicly a romantci actor with big feelings

glass love
Quiz Kid

« Reply #143 on: April 15, 2013, 02:46:30 PM »

I've just seen 'Great Expectations'. Finally! Ralph was majestic as always and I loved that accent.  Clap There really isn't anything new in this version of the novel. It's actually rather similar to this one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0167187/

Still, I enjoyed both versions very much.  Smiley
Chelly
Admin
Faith Healer

What's better than a big juicy steak?

« Reply #144 on: May 21, 2013, 11:30:54 AM »

I really don't know what they were waiting for.  Hmm It's kind of late now, I think. But here it is.

Bonham Carter, Ralph Fiennes’ “Great Expectations” release date set.

May 21, 2013 - 16:53 AMT
PanARMENIAN.Net - Mike Newell’s Great Expectations starring Helena Bonham Carter, Ralph Fiennes, Robbie Coltrane, Jeremy Irvine and Holliday Grainger, and the William Forsythe-starring Jack LaMotta biopic The Bronx Bull will both be released stateside on October 11, 2013, Deadline said.

The announcement was made in Cannes by Main Street Films chairman Craig Chang and are the first pics to come from the company’s distribution division.

The specialized marketing and distribution company is financed by 982 Media.

Great Expectations, based on the Dickens book, premiered at Toronto last year and was released in the UK in November. Bronx Bull co-stars Joe Mantegna, Penelope Ann Miller, Paul Sorvino and Cloris Leachman, with Martin Guigui directing.

“Every independent film that is made represents a small miracle, and at MSF we want to honor the achievement of the filmmakers in not only getting their film made but my ensuring that it is seen by everyone it was made for”, Chang said in announcing the dates.

http://www.panarmenian.net/eng/news/159163/Bonham_Carter_Ralph_Fiennes_Great_Expectations_release_date_set

Liza
Admin
The Dark Lady

« Reply #145 on: June 08, 2013, 10:38:56 AM »

I finally got to see the film! Woohoo I really enjoyed and loved Ralph's portrayal of Magwitch!! Bravo Clap He covered such a range from menace to vulnerability. Well played Mr. Fiennes!! Well played!!! Love2

Liza Flower2

trugannini
The Miracle Maker

I feel safe with you

« Reply #146 on: June 09, 2013, 01:25:19 AM »

Stamp  It hasn't come here yet, looks like a DVD job for me.  Finlay Currie was wonderful in the '40's
version, but I expect Ralph to, as you say Liza, be more subtle in his portrayal, yes, vulnerablity to menace indeed.
Ralph is so very good at the differences....he can even do it in one sentence.....I can't think of any instances
at the moment     Confused   Anyone?
Liza
Admin
The Dark Lady

« Reply #147 on: September 27, 2013, 09:14:08 AM »

I think this is a new trailer for the US release on November 8. I saw it on DVD but I still want to see it in the cinema! Woohoo Happy

Dorli, the film is scheduled for release in Brazil on April 18, 2014!  Woohoo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bZR9V6o9DA

Liza Flower2

Chelly
Admin
Faith Healer

What's better than a big juicy steak?

« Reply #148 on: September 27, 2013, 10:35:13 AM »

I thought it was supposed to be released Oct. 11?  Hmm I hate when they keep switching dates.  Aafm

By the way, I just read that Ralph is supposed to be at the Hamptons festival next month. And I thnk it must be for Great Expectations, not Invisible Woman because Helena Bonham Carter is also going to be there. We'll see.

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/celebrities/hamptons-film-festival-to-screen-ralph-macchio-s-short-film-1.6141368

dorli
The Mesmerizer

Ralph is the best actor there is!

« Reply #149 on: September 28, 2013, 05:03:29 PM »

Thank LIZA, I did not know when he could find, had asked for rental, but had no answers. Kiss2 Fiennes Flower

Dorli
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length