Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 10:25:49 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Current forum banner created by LIZA

+  The Ralph Fiennes Corner II Forums
|-+  All about Ralph
| |-+  Interviews
| | |-+  BBC One Foot in the Past - T.E. Lawrence's home (Clouds Hill)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: BBC One Foot in the Past - T.E. Lawrence's home (Clouds Hill)  (Read 2837 times)
luvdoggie
Admin
The White Countess

« on: May 23, 2009, 12:44:32 AM »

BBC, Sept. 17, 1997:

23:30 One Foot in the Past

The series that covers the people and issues that shape Britain's heritage. Simon Thurley goes behind the closed doors of modern government to reveal the forgotten remnants of Henry VIII's Palace of Whitehall. Dan Cruickshank investigates a moment when genius met pure Heath Robinson - the great Sound Mirrors, the ancestors of radar - on the south coast. And actor Ralph Fiennes visits Clouds Hill in Dorset, home of Lawrence of Arabia.

=======================================

Excerpt from http://www.freewebs.com/ouphrontis/adm.html

Lawrence is played with great empathy by Ralph Fiennes (Schindler's List; The English Patient; Oscar and Lucinda), who read all he could about his subject. He later made a programme as part of BBC2's One Foot In The Past series that focused on Lawrence's life at Clouds Hill. Fiennes, one of the finest actors of his generation, had the advantage over Peter O'Toole of resembling Lawrence more in terms of physical presence. His performance is lovely, portraying Lawrence as a man bewildered by what has happened to him, unwilling to go on yet trapped by his own promises to the Arabs. His affection for Feisal (Alexander Siddig el Fadil, who won his role as Dr Julian Bashir on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine on the back of this performance) is warm and uncomplicated; but he does not know quite how to respond to other people. His flirtatious (or 'charming') side is well conveyed, with a touch less aggression than in O'Toole's performance. Fiennes' Lawrence treads a fine line between cynicism and na´vety, but is ultimately lost amongst the forces ranged against him. Lawrence knew what would happen at the Paris Peace Conference, yet he had to try to salvage something for the sake of his commitment to the Arab cause, and for the sake of his own self-esteem. Ralph Fiennes shows a Lawrence tormented by the draft of Seven Pillars of Wisdom, distracted by his guilt and the irrepressible (almost manic) highs. Here is a man who was once a victor, and who has now become victim: yet this one has claws. Truly, as the title says, he was a dangerous man.

==============================

Clouds Hill is now maintained by National Trust
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-cloudshill/

luvdoggie
Admin
The White Countess

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 12:55:08 AM »

Here's the One Foot in the Past video with Ralph visiting Clouds Hill -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_gTty1EgF0

Sorry about it being choppy! Once my  recorder returns from repair, I'll see about correcting the video streaming.

Liza
Admin
The Dark Lady

You touch my heart and make me smile. Always.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 05:55:29 AM »

luvdoggie, it was great!! Thumbs Up Thank you for posting this and the video!! Love2

(The new emoticons are cute too! heartbeat)

Liza Flower2

"i carry your heart with me, i carry it in my heart" ~ e.e. cummings
"Keep this man safe; give him all kindness," ~ Shakespeare "Julius Caesar"
trugannini
The Miracle Maker

I feel safe with you

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 12:58:50 AM »

Thumbs Up Luvdoggie,  thank you for that great video and the information
about T E Lawrence.  Waving
Dolarhyde
The White Countess

I'm the dragon

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 06:08:06 PM »

BBC, Sept. 17, 1997
i guess it's the date than it was broadcasted. but when was it filmed? directly after "dangerous man"?

thank you for uploading the video  Smiley

luvdoggie
Admin
The White Countess

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 04:47:56 PM »

BBC, Sept. 17, 1997
i guess it's the date than it was broadcasted. but when was it filmed? directly after "dangerous man"?

thank you for uploading the video  Smiley

I think around time 1996/7 because that's the earliest I remember people discussing this project on forums.  Even though the quality of the film isn't up to par, RF has that post TEP look to me.  ADM was released in early 1990's.  Too early for people to really take notice of him as A-list actor.
trugannini
The Miracle Maker

I feel safe with you

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 05:12:06 PM »

A Dangerous Man   was made for TV, before he did
Schlinder's List
  .  I have read recently that Steven Spielberg saw Ralph
in A Dangerous Man   and asked him to audition for Amon Goeth.  He said he could see something in him, with which Fiennes could make Amon
work   .  So that would make it pre-1993.  I have no idea when it was broadcast. Waving
Dolarhyde
The White Countess

I'm the dragon

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 04:38:14 PM »

post TEP look
nice term  Laughing

he looks so young in the video and maybe i was just irritated by his "longer" hair. normally i associate with 1996/97 the almasy-haircut. (imo one of his best movie hairstyles).

A Dangerous Man   was made for TV, before he did
Schlinder's List
  .  So that would make it pre-1993.  I have no idea when it was broadcast. Waving
yes, i know when he filmed DM and SL. that's why i asked when the BBC video was filmed. shortly after DM or (96/97)  after he became famous. but i guess luvdoggie is right. so i'll put it in the folder 1997.

Christine710
She Who Must Be Named

Love, music in the heart puts a smile on ones face

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 02:36:53 AM »

Grrr great interesting  Fiennes d  luv Doggie   Flower   Ralph Fiennes visits Clouds Hill in Dorset, home of Lawrence of Arabia.  So young...... I like the cello music playing in the video.

"Faith Healer" "There are no great acts, only small acts done with great love." "I have called you friends."
trugannini
The Miracle Maker

I feel safe with you

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 03:25:12 AM »

Sorry Dolarhyde, I misunderstood..He looks so very young in the TELawrence video also...It's very hard to tell, although he seems to have a bit
more confidence than he did in 1992,  He has a look about him that he had in The Cormorant.....1997 it is!, I have no reason to know or (think) otherwise  And, very beautiful....I like his hair this way.  Flower

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length